New England Getaways
Top New England Vacations
Ten Hidden New England Vacations and Destinations
This article about New England Getaways is provided
by Cliff Calderwood - www.new-england-vacations-guide.com
I live in and love New England and over the years have written about many places to visit on vacations here. However, there are a bunch of destinations and attractions in New England that are my favorites but remain largely unknown to most and Ill share some of those with you today.
Ten Hidden New England Vacations and Destinations:
- Newfound Lake in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire is a pristine lake surrounded by pines and small peaks and is not usually crowded. Wellington Beach State Park offers swimming, hiking, restrooms, and changing facilities, and if youve got time visit nearby Sculptured Rocks in Hebron for a geology lesson.
- Parker River National Wildlife Refuge on Plum Island near Newburyport in Massachusetts. Beautiful coastal locations in Massachusetts are not only the domain of Cape Cod. Plum Island is an 8-mile barrier beach not only offering great location for summer vacationers but 2/3 of the island is a refuge teeming with life all year round.
- The Litchfield Hills in the northwestern corner of Connecticut is rich in history and scenery. The region appeals to the part of us seeking simple and natural and a walk through small towns with plenty of history and a covered bridge, or an easy hike along rivers and trails amongst waterfalls and rolling hills.
- Allagash Wilderness Waterway is nearly 100-miles of the great north woods in Maine. The waterway is interconnected lakes, streams and rivers from the confluence of the St. John River down to Baxter State Park. Canoe and guided trips are the best and safest way to experience it. Wilderness is the operative word here and please do avoid black fly season.
- Lake Champlain Islands in northern Vermont provides recreation for the locals of the Burlington region. Nestled between the Green Mountains and Adirondacks theyre the icing on the Lake Champlain cake. The islands are interconnected with the Vermont mainland and offer parks, camping, hiking, beaches, and sailing.
- Watch Hill in southeastern Rhode Island is a secluded seaside town not far from Westerly, and a place to walk around and browse. The main beach is popular with locals for a reason and theres Watch Hill Lighthouse, an antique flying horse carousel and marvelous beach sunsets.
- Zealand Pond in New Hampshires scenic White Mountains is just an easy walk from the end of a gravel road in Bethlehem but is a testament to natures persistence to return to the wild after the loggers and railroad departed. The hike is 2-miles from the trail head to Zealand Pond and then Zealand Falls through a scenic White Mountain valley.
- Right in the backyard of Massachusetts capital city and a short ferry ride is Boston Harbor Islands. The 34-island archipelago is a protected national park containing lighthouses, swimming beaches, ghosts, old forts and prisons, and refreshing cool breezes during those hot humid August days.
- Mention Downeast Maine and images of Acadia National Park materialize but the Penobscot Bay region is also memorable. Particularly the historic and beautiful villages of Castine and Stonington which are both on the eastern shore of Penobscot Bay. Castine has a turbulent past detailed in the many plaques around the village and Stonington is located on Deer Isle accessible since 1939 by the building of a bridge to link it with the mainland.
- The Moosalamoo Region in Vermonts Green Mountain National Forest is an outdoor adventurers paradise. The area offers walking, hiking, camping, canoeing, swimming, fly-fishing, and interpretive walks, along with access to two designated wilderness areas at Bristol Cliffs Wilderness and Breadloaf Wilderness. Other gems to visit in the area include Lake Dunmore and Branbury State Park.
Use these destinations as stepping stones to discover New England because as you do youll discover your own hidden vacations spots and when you do please share them with your friends and me.
For more details on these and other attractions to see during New England Vacations and to pick up your free trip planner package go to Cliff's New England Vacation Guide at: http://www.new-england-vacations-guide.com
We hope you enjoyed these tips for New England Getaways !
Get Ideas for a Martha's Vineyard Beach Vacation
New England Getaways often involve the beach. See why
I love the beach on Martha's Vineyard
From New England Getaways to Martha's Vineyard Vacation Tips
End of New England Getaways